Affiliated to Ramblers Association, the Open Spaces Society

and the Campaign to protect Rural England



Held at 7.30pm on Wednesday 10th January 2018

At Lansdown Church Hall, Malvern WR14 2AW




Jeffrey Thorogood (JT/C) Chairman

David Swift (DS) Acting Vice Chairman

Marguerite Barnwell (MJB) Secretary

Robin Waterhouse (RW) Treasurer

Robert Ashmore (RA) Membership

Jim Bullett (JB) Website, Publicity, Newsletter & Walks Programme

John Barr (JB/W) Short Saturday Walks

Betsy Brua (BB/W) Midweek Walks

Sybil Heeks (SH) Social Section

Angela Partridge (AP) Elected Member

Judith O’Leary Elected Member and  Charity

Jim Noon Rights of Way Section


1. Welcome & Apologies - The Chairman opened the meeting at 7.30 and accepted apologies from Mike Everitt, Ann Woods and Jane Dutton


2. Matters Arising – The Chairman highlighted point 7 of the Minutes of the meeting held on 8th November 2017 where Marguerite asked that in future the Newsletter is proof read by more than one person to avoid mistakes appearing in print.


3. Approval of Minutes - The Minutes of the meeting held on 8th November 2017 were approved by the Committee and signed by the Chairman.


4. Walks Programmes – March–June 2018


 Long Saturday)

 Short Saturday) All walks for this period

 Midweek) have a leader

 Extra Easy Walks)


5. ROW – Jim Noon represented the Rights of Way Committee. There has been no activity in recent weeks because of the Christmas period. Jim brought to the committee’s attention the need for new members as present members are starting to age and new blood was needed.


6. Social Committee - Sybil gave a report on behalf of the Social Committee (Appendix A).


7. Newsletter – The next edition of the Newsletter is now complete and ready for printing.  Jim will e-mail it to all walks co-ordinators and members of the committee so it can be proof read before printing.

As Jim has managed to get a good price for the printing of this edition of the Newsletter, including colour pages, the Chairman felt that the Society could go back to posting copies to all members.


8. Web pages - Nothing to report


9. Membership – Robert reported that membership had risen to 175.


10. Media & Publicity – Marguerite had received an e-mail from James at All About Malvern asking for walk details, she had forwarded this on to Ann who was dealing with it.


11. Treasurer - Robin informed the meeting that there was just over £9,800 in the bank.


 A number of members have shown an interest in paying online and cheques for the 2018 subscription have already been received, these will be banked once the Society’s year end has passed.


12. Secretary & Correspondence – Nothing to report.


13. Planning for AGM – All is in hand for the AGM in March.


14. Finding Membership Secretary, Longer Saturday walks Co-ordinator, Shorter Saturday walks Co-ordinator - Chairman asked Committee to let him have names of members they thought would be willing to take on these roles so that he could approach them before the AGM.


15. Any Other Business –


Jim feels Society needs to start looking for someone to take over the website.


Angela reminded Chairman that in March 2018 she will have come to the end of her term in office


Chairman thanked Jim for new supply of trifold leaflets and asked Committee’s permission to order a further supply as he has been delivering large numbers to GP surgeries.  Rob asked whether this conflicted with the Walking for Health scheme that most surgeries took part in.  Jeff confirmed this was not the case.


Jim felt that some of the walks details submitted by members were becoming too long. It may be necessary for guidance notes on walk details to be put into the next issue of the Newsletter.  The Committee will discuss this at the next meeting.


Chairman is going to forward two e-mails he has received and has asked for comments from Committee members.


 The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.05pm






Wednesday 10th JANUARY 2018







There were seven members present at the meeting held on 1st December at Liz Noon’s home.


Get well cards have been sent to Anne Colwell and Marguerite Barnwell following surgery and to Roger Wicker who has damaged his Achilles tendon.


The Christmas walk and lunch was well attended but some people were disappointed with their food, lacking vegetables with some meals and undercooked vegetables for those that did have them.


The Annual Dinner on 19th January at the Worcester Golf Club now has 38 bookings, but it has been decided to make this an evening event next year as some people prefer to eat and socialise at that time.


On Wednesday 7th March there will be a talk with slides by Tony Conder entitled “Canals in the Landscape”. This will be at 7 o’ clock at Lansdowne Hall with an entrance fee of £2.50 to include tea and home made cakes.


The Club Day Out on Saturday 23rd June is a coach trip to Bath. Angela will lead a 7 mile moderate walk known as the “Bath Skyline walk” with splendid views of the towers, spires and crescents of this beautiful city. There will also be a guided walk which will take in many of the main sites of the city. There will be time after both walks to further explore the city and to find somewhere for tea before the return to Malvern.


Plans for future holidays have not yet been finalised. Covering the costs of a coach is dependent on sufficient numbers and this is becoming increasingly difficult.


Sybil Heek




Return to top of page